Thursday, August 17, 2006

Announcing STDF Explorer

So I've developed this simple but perhaps useful STDF browser GUI app... I ended up choosing wxPython, with BoaConstructor as an IDE. BoaConstructor was really weird for me to use at first, but it seems to be stable enough, and its growing on me.

STDF Explorer is a very basic STDF viewer. The left pane lists the sequence of STDF record types in the file, along with the file offset location of each record in hexadecimal. When you click on a record on the left, the right pane will display the contents of the record.

One of the cool features of the STDF explorer is that it can display contents immediately while continuing to load the rest of the file in the background. This was my first multithreaded GUI adventure (like I said, I have little GUI background) so it was fun to figure this part out.

In any case, keep your $3 a day for a good cup of coffee, and go download STDF Explorer 1.1.0. I encourage you to try it out with the biggest, baddest STDF files you have -- your testing will help me improve it.

Download: StdfExplorer-1.1.0.zip (4.7MB)

Instructions:
1. Unzip and run StdfExplorer.exe
2. Open an uncompressed STDF file
3. Explore!

Here's a screenshot of the STDF explorer in action:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i'm test engineer in Integrant INC in south korea.

And i always try to analyze stdf file with window program.

But when i try to that i have same problem to read a stdf file.

So could you explain how can parse the stdf code to real data?

my e-mail address is louis.kim@analog.com

12:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you add the ability to open a file provided on the command line? If you added that capability then we could associate the .std file extension with the StdfExplorer.exe to open files by double clicking them.

Oh, great tool! Use it a lot!
Thanks,
John
San Jose, CA

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome!!!

Thanks, SH.Han

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I open a stdf file, record type and value appears to be empty.. even for valid sample stdf file.

is this a bug?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Boris Dieseldorff said...

I also see an empty record type and value for the demo files. :(

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home